So you have this bloody old Drupal 6 website and have to upgrade it to Drupal 8?
Good news! It’s possible to transfer most of your data!
Easy solution -> start watching
this incredible video (Video is removed from YouTube 🙁 see comment)
In theory they are right!
My experiences in detail
I work on my local PC (OSX/MAMP)
Task is a German D6 Website, 6 years old with 1500 nodes, 10000 taxonomy terms, 10 content-types, 50+ contrib modules, a handmade theme … in short, a usual suspect
- I created a copy of the old Drupal 6 database and imported it in my local MySQL
- I installed a fresh Drupal 8
- I installed and enabled the following modules
- Upgrade UI-Version
I navigated to http://localhost/newdrupal8/upgrade and fill the form. Upgrade worked but slow
Next time I tried drush which is way faster
drush migrate-upgrade --legacy-db-url=mysql://user:pass@localhost/d6db --legacy-root=http://olddrupal6site.com
If the database is bigger than 100 MB it seems to be better to use drush.
Problems (and a solution)
- After the first run in the Upgrade UI, all nodes, menu links, users and taxonomy were in the new db but the nodes were without field values
- Second try … (new drupal 8, etc)
Migration this time with drush – faster but same result
- few more tries with different configuration ideas (don’t know anymore 🙂
- fifth try – Idea: Hey, the source is a German site, may be it’s about language 🙂 #hope
Hagens-MacBook-Air:htdocs hagengraf$ drush dl drupal-8 --select Choose one of the available releases for drupal:  : Cancel  : 8.1.x-dev - 2016-Jan-08 - Development  : 8.0.2 - 2016-Jan-06 - Supported, Recommended  : 8.0.0-beta2 - 2014-Oct-15 - Security
D8 Installation in German
some problems in settings.php (no MySQL connection). Don’t related to the upgrade (it was deep in the night).
$databases['default']['default'] = array ( 'database' => 'd8', 'username' => 'root', 'password' => 'root', 'prefix' => '', 'host' => '127.0.0.1', 'unix_socket' => '/Applications/MAMP/tmp/mysql/mysql.sock', 'port' => '3306', 'namespace' => 'Drupal\\Core\\Database\\Driver\\mysql', 'driver' => 'mysql', );
configuration with the following commands
cd drupal-8.0.2/ drush status drush dl migrate_upgrade, migrate_tools drush en migrate_upgrade, migrate_tools drush dl admin_toolbar drush en admin_toolbar_tools, admin_toolbar drush migrate-upgrade --legacy-db-url=mysql://root:root@localhost/fnd6 --legacy-root=http://olddrupal6site.de
and … all data imported but still no files, no body field values
- next try
I download the files from the old d6 site to http://localhost/old (5GB) and tried again …
Files were now imported, body field values too, but mysterious messages were shown in drush output. Still no values were shown in a node (just the title).
Missing filter plugin: filter_null. [error] Missing filter plugin: filter_null. [error] Missing filter plugin: filter_null. [error]
- next try – same problem than before – discovered possible reasons
Deactivated caption filter, php filter, image assist filter in old site (now in the local version)
- next try – hurrah 🙂
everything works! 180 MB data imported
- no views
- lots of contrib modules missing (ads, iframes, sliders, all the stuff clients need 🙂 …)
- different handling for images and a lot of topics
- theme doesn’t work anymore
But hey … most of the data is imported!
Now the works starts on the rest 🙂
If you need help with your Drupal 6 to 8 upgrade …